The New Stanford Hospital- A Year in Review

October 25th, 2016

Stanford Health Care People – Fall 2016


Since the final beam was set in place last year, a massive amount of work—more than 1.1 million man hours in 2016 alone—has transformed what looked like an elaborate erector set into the nearly completed exterior of the new Stanford Hospital. In a year of milestones, Bert Hurlbut, Vice President, New Hospital Construction, highlighted his crew’s biggest achievements.


Structure Is Built.

Since the topping off ceremony in March 2015, when the skeleton of the hospital was just taking shape, the construction crew has completed the structure. That means, all of the steel is up and welded, and all of the metal decking and concrete are in place. “That’s 18,000 tons of structural steel, the same as 36 million pounds of steel, and over 800,000 square feet of metal deck,” said Hurlbut. “Those are two pretty impressive numbers.”


Structure Is Sound.

Unlike a fixed-base building, which is built directly on the ground, the new hospital is a base-isolated building. That means it is separated from the ground by flexible pads and will move with earthquakes to prevent or minimize damage. This past year, the base isolation bearings were unlocked, and put to work, said Hurlbut, “so the structure is now protected from an earthquake.”


Glass dome Is Complete.

The glass dome, a lattice structure with a view to the sky above, has been built, welded and painted. Ninety tons of steel tubes cross north, south, east and west, forming open squares, which are clad with 50 tons of glass.


Connecting Link Is In Place.

The pedestrian bridge, which connects the new facility to the existing hospital at 300 Pasteur, has been erected, and is now being welded, according to Hurlbut. “This was the last structure to be put into place.”


Exterior Glass Is Installed.

The construction team began installing exterior glass last November. In all, over 800 glass window panels have been placed. “It all goes in one piece at a time and all by tower crane,” said Hurlbut, “so it takes a long time.”


Interiors Are Built.

The interior walls of the hospital are up, and all mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment is in place. Crews are now painting walls on the bottom floors, and finishing up drywall on the top floors.


Permanent Power Is On.

The hospital has been slowly weaning off its temporary power source, and is now completely on its own permanent power system. The emergency generator system, which runs on five V-16 diesel engines and two 40,000-gallon fuel tanks, has been put in place, and will be activated in the next three to four months. The system will be able to operate the hospital for four days without refueling, or a week if conservation efforts are used.


Safe Job Site.

At the peak of construction, there were as many as 900 tradesmen onsite on any given day. Today, that number hovers around 700 workers. The project set a safety goal of working one million man hours without a job-site accident that resulted in lost time at work. The construction team surpassed this milestone in early August and now have worked in excess of 1.1 million hours without a lost-time accident. “That’s a nice accomplishment,” said Hurlbut. “For a job of this magnitude and complexity, it has been a smooth build.”


What’s Next?

In the coming year, the team will construct the helicopter-landing pad, build out the 28 operating rooms and finish the radiology rooms. It will also add the hard and soft landscaping such as streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutters, and plants, bushes, trees and grass.


“There’s a little pin light at the end of the tunnel, but I can see it,” said Hurlbut with a slight chuckle. “The end is in sight.”